by Leah Pippinato
See my news
Three fully allocated days In animated cinema Combining meetings with specialists, workshops for the public and activities on broadcast sites. Be ready to This is the third edition of the Les Rencontres du Cinéma d’animation festivalIt is happening From Friday 24th to Sunday 26th November 2023 Montpellier. For this occasion, three rooms are available – the Rabelais Centre, the Pétrarque Room and the Diagonal Cinema. All this with a clear goal: “to explore the diversity of animated cinema and freedom of form,” according to Caroline Barrow, the association’s founder. Part brandfestival organizer.
This time it’s the topic “All in a nutshell” Who will direct this event About short films. “It is a format that we have always wanted to highlight, and this year we decided to dedicate the entire program to it,” confirms Nadia Wasserman, Production Director at Brand à Part. Moreover, short films for all audiences “are not always available,” she adds. So animation cinema meetings are perfect to highlight Eight short film programmes For a total 38 short films and a feature film broadcast over three days. Many partners have supported this new edition, including: Afka (French Society of Animated Cinema) for selecting films, assistant (Association of Screenwriters of Occitanie), joined the call for short film projects, and AGrAF (French Animation Writers Group) Participation in the Career Day.
Opening night is Friday, November 24th
Animation Cinema Meetings begins on Friday, November 24, with an opening night at the Diagonal Cinema. In the first part you will present the ArtFX School “Time’s up”Graduation movie. The public will then be able to discuss with student managers. the film “Express March” His first feature film, directed by Jeremy Perrine, will be screened in the second part of the evening, at which the director will be present.
Programming on Saturday, November 25th
On Saturday, performances of works targeting adults will be held at the Rabelais Centre. the program “Panorama No. 1” He will present films that revolve around life stories and talk about identity. Six films will be highlighted in an international program (Netherlands, Israel, Portugal, Iran, France). From 4:30 p.m., Occitanie Schools You will be able to attend the broadcast of their creations. Eight of them will be represented: Brassart Montpellier, ESMA Montpellier, ESMA Toulouse, E-Artsup Montpellier, ARTFX Montpellier, Objectif 3D, ISCID and Université Paul Valéry, with master’s degrees in Cinema and Audiovisual. A choice aimed at demonstrating “the diversity of training,” says Caroline Baroud. At six in the evening, the public will be able to access the panorama “engine”With “Memories”, which brings together three short films by famous directors Koji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura, and Katsuhiro Otomo. Films released in France in 2022, but went unnoticed.
From 8 pm, the program “Panorama No. 2” He will take on the task along with other international short films from the Netherlands, Israel, France, Poland, Finland and the United Kingdom. The end of the day will be dedicated to a program “Out of frame”, from 10 p.m. It collects five disturbing films, illustrating madness, psychosis and neurosis, and is therefore prohibited for children under 16 years of age. It will also include Saturday Three times of professional meetings In the Petrarch Hall:
- ASSOC will prepare candidates for screenwriting, which is not generally practiced in animation schools. In pairs, they will have to present their ideas to a panel of professionals who will give them feedback.
- AGrAF will offer speed dating in order to promote graphic anime authors and get them in touch.
- The day will conclude with a cocktail reception providing time for discussion.
Programming on Sunday, November 26th
Sunday will be dedicated to children from the age of six, with three programs. The first is titled “Youth audience”, will be presented in the form of offers and offers. Children will attend “L’Écran Magique”, where they will discover the birth of animated cinema. The second program, “Output Projects”, will invite them to pay attention to two young directors, Noémie Gruner and Charlie Belin, with their short films “Les Astres Immobiles” and “Drooles d’oiseaus”. Since Noemi Gruner is from Montpellier, she will be organizing an in-house event to showcase her film work for children.
finally, “panorama”, The final program of the day and festival, consisting of five favorite films, will include a quiz hosted by the organizing team. Please note that the programs intended for young audiences are mainly French, with the exception of two German and Portuguese short films.
Three workshops plus programming
In addition to broadcasting short films, Les Rencontres du Cinéma d’animation will also offer three workshops, all upon registration at Salle Pétrarque:
- Animation cinema workshop under the camera Saturday 25 November from 9am to 12pm for ages 16 and up: Toulouse animation studio La Ménagerie invites you to discover the modern tools that allow you to create a stop-motion animation film under the camera.
- Manga workshop Saturday, November 25 from 3pm to 5pm for ages 12 and up: This workshop will allow participants to immerse themselves in the world of creating manga characters and learn the basic techniques of this type of drawing.
- Film drawing and cutting workshop Sunday, November 26, 9am-12pm For ages 7-11: This workshop provides an introduction to film material (here, 16mm format) through the process of creating an intervention on film. Participants’ creations will be brought together into a cinematic loop that will be shown at the end of the workshop.
Follow all the news from your favorite cities and media by subscribing to Mon Actu.