Facilities Management will operate a power outage affecting the Basic Sciences Building on Long Campus from 6pm to 10pm on Friday, December 1. This work will conclude a high voltage reconnection project where the original 13,400 volt conductors (circa 1978) powering the Basic Science Building will be replaced with new 13,400 volt conductors. In addition, after December 1, these high-voltage contactors will be set up from independent high-voltage breakers for improved remote control and monitoring.
During a power outage, regular CPS Energy will not be available Throughout the Basic Sciences Building. Individuals in an area that will be affected by a power outage are asked to turn off computers and equipment not connected to a universal power supply (UPS) or battery.
During the transfer to generator power, there is a 10 second delay for the generator motors to start. This means that equipment, such as a non-UPS desktop computer, will need to be rebooted the next business day.
Individuals needing extension cords for emergency powered freezers or other critical equipment may contact Jeffrey Patterson, MBA, Construction Manager, Facilities Management at [email protected] or 210-273-8750 or Raymundo Rivera, MBA, MS, PE, CxA, Executive Director, Engineering and Construction Management and Senior Electrical Engineer, Facilities Management, at [email protected] Or 210-771-2662.
Below are additional details about the upcoming outage:
- Parking lot lighting will not be affected by a power outage.
- Individuals in a location affected by a power outage who are using their computers in remote desktop mode must turn on their computers and log in after the power outage.
- UT Health San Antonio’s VPN functionality will not be affected, so putting your work files on the server is a good alternative to using your computer in remote desktop mode.
- Facilities Management staff will be on-site throughout the duration of the power outage, and the Facilities Management Building will be staffed to meet any in-person or call-in requests.
- During a power outage, Facilities Management staff will conduct routine reviews of affected spaces.
- The 24/365 Facilities Management phone number is 210-567-2880.
No other buildings or spaces on Long Campus will be affected. Below, you can find a photo of the location of the Basic Sciences Building.