(Lisbon) A spokesman for German prosecutors said on Portuguese television that the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann fifteen years ago in southern Portugal, who was about 4 years old, is proceeding thanks to new evidence targeting the main suspect.
Posted at 6:53 AM
“The investigation is ongoing and we have discovered new elements, new evidence, not forensic evidence, but evidence,” said Hans Christian Walters, a spokesman for the Brunswick Public Prosecutor’s Office, which is responsible for the German part of the case. Tuesday evening on CMTV.
On April 22 the Portuguese public prosecutor announced an indictment, at his request, against a suspect in Germany, as part of an investigation carried out “in cooperation with the English and German authorities”.
His identity or the nature of the suspicions casting a shadow over him has not been determined, but according to German justice, “Christian B.” , a pedophile who lived for several years in southern Portugal.
This man, who is serving a prison sentence for raping a 72-year-old American in 2005 in Portugal, had already been identified by German investigators in 2020 as the prime suspect in the British girl’s murder.
“We are convinced that he murdered Madeleine McCann,” Mr. Walters reiterated without further details, notably refusing to reveal details of the investigation and in particular details of the experience conducted in a truck belonging to him.
According to the German investigation, phone records identified the suspect near the hotel complex where Madi disappeared on the evening of May 3, 2007.
“We are continuing to investigate who he was on the phone with” that evening, Walters said during a television interview.
When asked about an excuse to prove that Christian B. Not in Praia da Luz on the evening of the girl’s disappearance, Mr. Walters answered emphatically: “Christian B has no excuse.”
Madeleine McCann disappeared shortly before her fourth birthday in Praia da Luz, a seaside resort in the touristy Algarve region, where she was vacationing with her family.
Her disappearance sparked an extraordinary international campaign led by her parents to try to find her.
After 14 months of controversial investigations, marked notably by the indictment and then acquittal of the parents, the Portuguese judiciary closed the case in 2008, before reopening the file five years later.
“The fact that Christian B. is a suspect in Portugal shows that we are not in the wrong direction,” Walters said.